Dusting chickens is no fun, let me tell you. We got some lice treatment from the feed store and dusted the 4 girls with it yesterday. We learned how to do it in our usual fashion; find the best youtube video...laugh at it...then end up trying our best to replicate it. They claimed in this video that when you hold chickens on their backs they go into a 'trance-like state', which makes getting the powder all through their feathers easier. Um...our chickens certainly weren't in any trance-like state. If anything they were squirmier than usual. We managed to dust them all but we aren't looking forward to repeating in 10 days. Hopefully diatomaceous earth in their dust baths and nest box will help, too.
Now onto the Near Tomato Disaster. When we went to check the greenhouse this morning everything was fine. We turned the fans on (one at each end) and went back to the house. When we came out again, two of the biggest tomato plants had fallen right over! I guess it was time to stake them, but they had seemed to be standing so well that we hadn't noticed. I don't think the stems broke, luckily. We drove stakes in between pairs of tomatoes (so 4 stakes all together between these 8 plants) and then ran twine from the stake over to the plant and up to the greenhouse roof. We attached the twine to the tomato plant with some old t-shirt, then twisted the plant up around the twine. I'll post a photo of the newly staked plants tomorrow.