Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Post from the Field


Literally - I'm sitting in the beautiful winter sun with the goats and the dogs. The silly goats love going into the big pasture to eat blackberry leaves,  but they won't go in without us with them (even though they easily crawl under the horse fence). I've been walking them back here whenever I have a chance. I can't say I mind walking on the frosty, sunny field while the dogs run around and the goats come up and nudge me for grain. Today I only fed Maggie (she's more hand shy) when I was grabbing her collar at the same time. May had her collar held and then I picked her up before feeding her. They're both getting much better - May was trying to eat grain out of my pocket as I awkwardly held her. They're going to be big goats so it's especially important that we can handle them easily. The picking up part is for my benefit... They're so warm and cuddly! The dogs and goats aren't sure what to make of each other.  Yesterday May walked up behind Abby and head butted her... and a few days before that Ryan play bowed to Maggie and then licked her chin.



 The sheep feet all seem good (knock on wood). We dewormed them a few days ago when they had their long foot bath (goats,  too). We had the hardest time getting Zeb to even dip his feet. Who knew llamas were so dainty!  He was stretching into the oddest positions to try and easy the grain without getting his feet wet. Finally we had to settle for just his front feet in (after he leapt the 4' foot bath barrier easily). We even put a 5' long foam mat soaked in zinc sulfate at the gate for him to step on on his way in... and he gracefully cleared it.



The sheep aren't sleeping in their nice cozy barn even though it has been -5 at night.  They sleep just outside of it. They also seem to prefer grazing still and aren't eating much hay. 

SoZH, Squishy and the ZH himself. I hope I never have to bet on it, but I really doubt a hawk would have a chance with ZH. He is a giant among roosters.


After thinking SoZH might be a she,  I'm back to thinking he's a he. He's a funny little (big) chick. He prefers cuddling with the goats and most nights we have to go get him and move him into the coop.

Everyone enjoying some food scraps in the sun.


No comments:

Post a Comment