Thursday, July 4, 2013

Lesson Learned

Ewean and I discovered yesterday why you don't shear sheep with scissors.

 I went in there intending to just cut off some bits of longer wool that hadn't come off with the rest of her belly wool (I'm pretty sure we got sheep-newby tricked into thinking she was a hair sheep...). She was so good while I trimmed her, just standing next to me grazing or lying down, that I kept going...and going...and...yup. 

Poor Ewean.


At least I used kids' scissors (and I have the blisters to show for it). Safety first.


This guy was really interested in what was going on. Maybe he thought I'd uncover some bugs under the wool.



Not quite as bad by the end...



I moved the lambs into the yard near the house again so that we can keep an eye on them - their eyes look a bit infected and Ewean needed her hoofs trimmed. It seems as though her left front keeps getting long faster than the others (and Oprah hasn't even needed her hooves trimmed yet), and the hoof is slightly detached from the foot pad. She was so easy to catch - I walked over to her and picked her up, then passed her to Nathan so that he could restrain her. We trimmed her hoof and scraped some mud and grass out and we'll give her a foot bath in some zinc sulfate if we can find it. 

Bad side on the left, good side on the right (pre trimming). 



With her goopy eyes, her gimpy foot and her new haircut, it's no wonder the landlord asked today why "the white one looks so decrepit". 

At least she will be slightly cooler - it's still so hot! The veggies love it.

I got over eager and picked some of those yellow ones before they were fully ripe.


This must be some kind of mutant tomato plant. How does it have that many flowers...and will it actually be able to produce that many tomatoes??


The edamame had been hiding - they're almost ready! 


Along with asking why Ewean looked so decrepit, the landlord also asked me why my edamame were so hairy. Ahem. Excuse me? My poor lil' beans...they were born that way!


Lots of raspberries from the little plants next to the house, ready to be frozen and then put in smoothies!


Ryan is back to his normal, goofy self. The heat (and being a farm dog) makes him tired...



No comments:

Post a Comment