Friday, October 16, 2015

Number 24

This is only post 24 for this year...that's down by half the posts each year. Unacceptable!! I'm going to try and update every other day with at least a photo for the rest of the year (do you hear me, self? update the blog!).

Last weekend I renovated the chicken coop. I'll have to take some photos of that today. The ground and bedding was nice and clean because of the post-mink repairs, but I took down a bunch of boards we had up to divide the coop back when it was smaller. I also changed some roosts around so that nobody would get pooped on at night. Unfortunately, chickens are creatures of habit and even though there are more roosts than before, 6 girls have gone on strike and started sleeping in the nest boxes. Did I mention that chickens poop a lot at night? Nest boxes don't make the best beds if you want to find clean eggs in the morning.

Yesterday I decided that the duck house needed an addition put on it. We currently have 10 ducks - the original 4 plus 6 ducklings. I have a home lined up for one of them, and we'll probably try to sell at least another 2 of the girls (5 girl ducklings altogether) but for now they needed more space at night. The older ducks boss the younger ones around for 20 minutes before they settle in and go to sleep...and then when the door is closed they all snuggle up together! Funny ducks.

The tractor work around the pond is all done and we blocked it off from chickens and ducks to seed it in pasture grass. Hopefully some will grow before it gets too frosty! You can see the almost-completed duck house addition here and the pond filling up! You can't really tell how deep it is to the left of the dock but it's at least 8-10 feet there.


Sheep are back there enjoying their morning hay. There is still lots of grass this fall for them which is nice. 


Stalker.


Bossy-pants.


Little Survivor with mom, Penny. Definitely a boy...look at that stance!


This is what happens when you throw an old hot dog bun off the deck in the morning.




3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about updates. Love your blog. I check it every day. Here's mine.
    micahsfarm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I am the lined up duck home!! Our boy duck needs a sister wife/sister.....well, maybe just friend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay blog updates! I can't live vicariously through you if I don't see regular farmy pictures and stories.

    ReplyDelete