Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Winter Sun!

I had three sunny days off last week and I had a great time while my mom visited (my dad and sister came on Friday for the weekend and got rain!).

Zoey was so tired after playing with Lucy that she fell asleep with a bone in her mouth..


We got a big truckload of wood chips delivered by a tree/landscaping company. They delivered them by donation to an animal rescue. Win win situation! We get much needed mulch, they get rid of their unwanted chips.

I covered the area around the garden beds, and Nathan added some more yesterday.


Dogs love wood chip piles!


Chickens love that I had to use the compost covering tarp for under the wood chips...time to look for worms!

I brought the chicks out of the coop and out from under the heat lamp for some natural heat. They loved it! Look at GOZ on the bottom right...

(yep, that's Grandson/daughter of Zebra Head!)

Lil' Phillip...


I redid the farm stand! It needs a bit more paint, but almost done! 


It is really nice to have Nathan back home again. I managed while he was away, and luckily everything went smoothly, but it is hard work running our little farm (and working 2 jobs!). When I got home after dark last week, the chicken coop door had blown shut and none of the chickens could get in to go to bed. They were all huddled around the coop on various fences, posts and beams. Saul had taken 3 ladies with him into the old turkey coop (smart guy) and I was panicking trying to find them. Luckily, I got everyone in to bed before owls, mink and raccoon started hunting for the night. Living where there are always so many predators makes getting everyone in to the coop in the evening imperative... definitely easier having one of us home as it starts to get dark! Plus, having Nathan around in general is pretty nice, too ;) 

1 comment: