Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Goodbye Jane

Fully stocked farm stand! Except cucumbers - those seem to ripen in batches so we suddenly have 5 ripe and then a week with none.


I can't get enough of these cherry tomatoes...which is a good thing since we're picking this many every day right now!


Time to make some pesto for the freezer.


I thought there weren't any zucchini and then I looked a little harder...oops!


It was a sad morning for me yesterday when I went outside and found one of the chicks dead. I think she got her head through the mesh and got stuck, then the adult chickens on the outside pecked her to death. Apparently chickens (like dogs) will sometimes respond like that to distressed sounds.  It was kind of awful to find her like that. I've closed the yard so the chickens can't get close to the chick pen. RIP Jane. There are now 5 chicks left that we've named Walt, Skyler's Ts, Gus, Jesse and Saul (if they're hens, they just have to deal with their masculine names. We have a minor Breaking Bad addiction). I'll have to take some photos of them - they're huge, already!

Abby's healing up nicely. That's one of the dead fish (from a few months ago - bleh!) that she managed to find buried under blackberry bushes. We waste nothing around here...


Ryan is relieved to be taken off farm patrol duty.


We have 12 hens...I think: Speckles, Denise, Dorothy, Mother Clucker, Magpie, Pagpie, Little Brown, Tiny Brown, Raven, Sheba, Clarice, Squishy. Yup, 12. The young ones are 5 months old now so they should be laying eggs, but we're only finding 5-6 a day. I'm thinking there are hidden nests all over the farm but we can't find them!

"Nothing to see, here..." (this is in the hay pile). 



1 comment: