Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Inside Projects

This time I have an excuse for the weeks between posting - it has been an almost constant torrential downpour and I can't even take my phone out, never mind my nice camera! 

Instead, I waited until Nathan went to the mainland for the weekend to...wait for it....cut up our couch!!!


I decided that I would try turning our couch/love seat into a sectional.

Ta daaa!


There were a few slightly panicked moments (see that first photo) where I thought I may have totally wrecked our couch. The back up plan was to cut it up, buy another set and pretend nothing happened. Luckily it worked out. There is a slightly odd looking back cushion that I had to stuff where they join, but not bad! It's super comfy (clearly, according to Zoey and Abby). 

That coffee table was another project. It was a black laminate Ikea table - I painted it and added pine boards to the top, then stained them with a dark walnut wood stain. 

This was the table before.


I did the same thing to the TV stand. Before:


After:


The painted wall makes a big difference. The shelf behind the couch was an upright pine Ikea bookshelf - the cheap Ivar kind. I turned it on its side, flipped some of the shelves around, added that wide pine board across the top and stained the whole thing. I think it looks good, but I also used it to hide the fact that the couch-love seat back doesn't line up quite right :)

Nathan was happy to try out the 'new' sectional when he got home, and Ryan was just happy to see Nathan! I'm not sure how I managed to get my elbow into the photo.


No comments:

Post a Comment